Friday, May 02, 2008

Commentary
Robinswing, Black Kos Editor


I’ve been looking into my heart to find my real feelings about Jeremiah Wright and the events of the last few days.

As I write this, Obama has packed up the baggage left by Rev. Wright and the media. Make no mistake, the media is the thing.

Obama has been taking hits from every direction. Hillary, McLame, Bill, scarred burrow, damnity, Tweety et.al. The miracle is that he has weathered it with more grace than the situation deserved. During these last few weeks, Obama has been grace it’s own self.

They’ve been waiting to see if they could pick a fight and fit him into the angry black male mode. They couldn’t. Only Jeremiah Wright was able finally to wound. Wound him he did. I’m feeling Obama’s hurt. It is not unfamiliar to me, the territory of betrayal. For a moment the light seems to get sucked from the room. Obama had that look. My heart goes out to him.

I keep wondering if in his actions, Wright wasn’t giving Obama what he needed to move forward. Jeremiah is not a stupid man. I do not believe he is jealous of Obama. I do not believe he is a narcissist. The narcissists get the million dollar home as soon as the church can afford it. They don’t put the church’s money into programs.

I’m sure I saw something in Jeremiah’s eyes.

I do not believe for one moment he needs attention. When you have a church for as long as he, attention is something you get plenty of. One day I’ll tell you how I know.

No, what I believe he intended to do was take the attention and shape it to Obama’s need. This he did. He said over a year ago that Obama would need to distance himself from him. Since Obama couldn’t bring himself to do it, Wright did it for him.

I know I heard a message in there. On Sunday, I heard him say that if he was going to promote a candidate at the non-partisan NAACP function he would say “Yes we can!”

He made a point of saying that he was not Obama’s spiritual advisor. And chided Obama for not listening to the whole sermon. Took that one off Obama’s back. I’m sure it pissed Buchanan off. He’s been trying to hang Obama with this spiritual advisor label since the beginning of this farce. Also apparently everyone else goes to church every Sunday and because Wright said Obama hadn’t heard the whole sermon, he took that weapon right out of the punditz hands.

Wright signaled that he was up on things by mentioning the Huffington Post. Then there were the messages that I heard in other things he said.

He said that what God has ordained in terms of the presidency could not be stopped. I heard words of encouragement to Obama. Wright was doing his part.

Finally he parodied the black street brother... Bipping and bopping. He did everything but slap a high five with one of his boys. This man who has known presidents and been in the White House as a guest of Bill Clinton has to go all south side of Chicago? Not feeling that vibe as authentic.

I believe he knew that by giving what even Obama called a performance; he was doing all he could do to put this away.

I know I would have done the same thing. I would show my behind to ten thousand strangers if it would help my sons. I would make a complete fool of myself if it would help bring their dreams into being.

Anyone who thinks that Jeremiah Wright would consciously sabotage Obama does not understand anything about the man.

In my heart I believe I’ve seen Br’er Rabbit getting thrown into the briar patch.

Nothing else makes sense.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home